Brussels cancels New Year's fireworks, festivities over terror threat

BRUSSELS : Belgian authorities on Wednesday cancelled the annual New Year’s Eve festivities and fireworks in the heart of Brussels after revealing an alleged militant plot to attack the capital during the holiday.

The city of 1.2 million people has been on high alert since  said several men involved in the deadly November 13 attacks in Paris had links to Brussels.

“Unfortunately we have been forced to cancel the fireworks and all that was planned for tomorrow (Thursday) evening,” mayor Yvan Mayeur told.

Last year, some 100,000 people turned out to watch the traditional New Year’s Eve fireworks display at the Place de Brouckere, a central square.

Mayeur said in the current circumstances it wasn’t possible to “guarantee that we can check everyone coming to the event.”

“It’s better not to take any risks,” he added.



Share This:


Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember meLost your password?

Don't have account. Register

Lost Password