Nine cases of Zika reported in Italy
MILAN: Italy has confirmed at least nine cases of the Zika virus in the country on Friday, of which four registered in northern Veneto region, local media reported.
All concerned patients have been successfully treated in Italian health facilities and all of them had returned from trips to South America or the Caribbean, where the virus is most widespread, local health authorities said.
The freshest cases of contagion were found in two people back from Brazil and the Dominican Republic, who were respectively treated in Rome and in Venice, ANSA news agency reported on Friday.
Another three cases had been reported in the past days in Treviso, Padua and Vicenza, three cities close to Venice, the capital of Veneto region.
Veneto region health councilor Luca Coletto, however, stressed that the situation was completely under control and there was no reason for an alarm, according to Venice-based Il Gazzettino newspaper.
Coletto said the regional health system has been monitoring since 2010 the possible presence of the virus there, both in Aedes mosquitoes that are its carriers, and in humans.
The virus is not deadly in general, but is very dangerous for babies born to women infected during pregnancy.
Zika has been linked to microcephaly, when babies are born with abnormally smaller heads, which can cause brain damage and even be deadly.
Italian experts have said there is not a concrete risk of an outbreak of the disease in Europe, but have recommended that all citizens must step up surveillance to contain the threat.