South Korea urges North to drop rocket launch plan
SEOUL : South Korea on Wednesday urged Pyongyang to drop an imminent rocket launch, warning it would pay dearly if it went ahead with the plan.
In a government statement, the South said any missile test disguised as a satellite launch would pose a “grave threat” to world peace and security.
“North Korea must immediately drop its plan to launch, paying heed to the fact that any launch using ballistic technology is in breach of UN resolutions against it.” the statement said.
“Should the North push ahead with the long-range missile launch, which would pose a grave threat to peace and security in the region and the world, it would have to pay the price dearly”, said the statement, which was read by Cho Tae-Yong, a senior national security official at the presidential Blue House.
North Korea announced Tuesday it planned to launch a space rocket between February 8-25, a move condemned by the United States as “another egregious violation” of UN resolutions following Pyongyang’s nuclear test last month.