Woman wounds three at YouTube headquarters, then kills herself
San Bruno (Reuters): The alleged gunwoman who opened fire at YouTube’s San Bruno headquarters was apparently a disgruntled user of the platform who may have been motivated by a decline in her channel’s viewership.
The alleged shooter has been identified as Nasim Aghdam, a 39-year-old woman from Riverside, California. She was found deceased at the scene from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
As the shooting unfolded, YouTube employees quickly evacuated the building and got to safety, police said. Police arrived at the site and located the victims and also found the shooter with a gunshot wound. It is unclear if it was self-incflicted, but police did confirm that she is dead.
No motive in the shooting has been described by police, but authorities believe the incident may have been spurred by a domestic dispute.
YouTube producer Todd Sherman described the harrowing scene in a tweet as he was escaping.
At that point every new person I saw was a potential shooter. Someone else said that the person shot out the back doors and then shot themselves.
— Todd Sherman (@tdd) April 3, 2018
The White House said US President Donald Trump had been briefed on the situation.
Trump, himself, said on Twitter that he had been briefed on the shooting and sent “thoughts and prayers” to “everybody involved”.
Was just briefed on the shooting at YouTube’s HQ in San Bruno, California. Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody involved. Thank you to our phenomenal Law Enforcement Officers and First Responders that are currently on the scene.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 3, 2018